Sunday, August 26, 2012

#Rageface: Countdowns

There's something about countdowns that always gets me. It's something about seeing numbers counting down to something that gets then anticipation going in me, so much so that I write multiple articles with the same title. My mind especially gets going when I see a big name attached to it, like Square Enix.

As I wrote before, Square had launched a new countdown site that teased something with my favorite DS game, The World Ends With You. Today, as the countdown ended, it revealed that The World Ends With You was coming to iOS...for $18. From the use of the characters in Kingdom Hearts 3D, I figured this countdown had something to do with the inherit sequel that TWEWY really deserves on the 3DS, or Wii U, or whatever. I see what Square is trying to do by taking the game out of its cult following and making it a legitimate mainstream hit on multiple platforms, but the game's original control method was what made the game truly original. An iOS port did not need so much hype.

Square also has another "countdown" of sorts for a new Final Fantasy 13 game that will be announced on September 1. Square did the same sort of announcement last year while teasing the Tomb Raider reboot. These two might be successful, no doubt for Tomb Raider, and the countdowns were very well performed, too.

What really angers me is when a countdown just leads to another countdown. I remember Konami did that with what is now Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengeance. One countdown lead to another for multiple weeks. The payoff was big, but it was too much. If you want to make a really long-form anticipation machine, start an ARG. I love ARG's, and I know of forums dedicated to just ARG's, like the popular Halo 3 ARG.

Or just make a big announcement :)

-Frankie out.

No comments:

Post a Comment