Friday, August 3, 2012

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Impressions

According to my newest save, I've logged in about 4.5 hours into this new Kingdom Hearts game. So far, I've run into characters from my favorite DS game (The World Ends With You); fallen asleep a few times; made friends with a bat, cat, and a spiky thingy; and defeated a giant flying monkey.

It's awesome.

The last 3DS game I bought was Kid Icarus because I couldn't afford to throw down money on Super Mario and Mario Kart. Kid Icarus had fast, frantic on-rails action that slowed down to hard-to-control, on-foot gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I still love that game. I kick ass at multiplayer too :) but once I started playing Kingdom Hearts, my connection with my 3DS had rekindled.

Unlike the last DS entries in the series, you don't play as Roxas or a digital copy of Sora, you are Sora, and Riku. This game takes place, in the cannon, as the newest entry. Sora and Riku are off to become Keyblade masters. I would tell you more, but that's really all of the story I've gotten so far. As with most Kingdom Hearts games, I don't expect the story to totally make sense up until the player reaches the midway point.

Since it's the newest game in the cannon, it would make sense that it has the most refined gameplay. The command deck system allows for faster gameplay to make all the fights seem that much more epic. It seems like this is how the developers can attach the ATB system from Final Fantasy IV or Final Fantasy XIII into a more real time game. Another gameplay element added is Flowmotion. Flowmotion makes Sora or Riku all purple and sparkly. When they become purple and sparkly, they become total overpowered badasses that can fly around the stage, laying waste to any Dream Eater that stands in their path...

...yeah, Flowmotion is pretty cool. It makes gameplay much faster. Being able to fly around the area makes traversal quicker and more fun. It also makes exploration enjoyable without any shoe-horned, frustrating platforming. The camera can still be a little wonky at times, but that's to be expected with Kingdom Hearts games.

This game is beautiful. As proven with Metal Gear Solid 3D, the 3DS can match the graphical power of a PS2 - IN 3D!!! This game looks equally as good as Kingdom Hearts II. The game also provides new areas of existing locales to explore. New areas of Traverse Town and the Grid. I can't speak for the rest of the game (I'm not there yet :P) but I assume there will be other cool places to kill Dream Eaters in.

It may be the fact that I love the Kingdom Hearts series or that it's just a good game, but I recommend this game for anyone with a 3DS. Good games for the system seem pretty stagnant other than New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Luigi's Mansion. So to quench your 3D thirst, pick up this game.

-Frankie out.

No comments:

Post a Comment